Active Language online staffroom

Story-Telling

on January 13, 2016

Nat started a thread on the facebook page before Christmas with some thoughts on using stories in the classroom.  Anybody like to add any further ideas or comments?

Morning all. Just wanted to post something about story telling. As some of you know i dont feel the most confident with this – i’m thinking of the unit stories in our infant And primary books (captain Jack, find out,And footprint books) primarily but suppose can also be story telling in general. Its something Ive been trying to work on more lately. Lucy and I were having a little chat about this the other day, And i was telling some of the things i do, or been doing, so thought it be a good idea to have a space to share (any ideas please share)…
With my footprints (footprints 1 And 2) : I get them put the story in order first. 1 A) this can be done as a class with the big flashcards (can even make this a competition class vs teacher-if class confer And get it right they get a point if not teacher gets point-this depends on your class though) a simple praise And high five could be Just as fun and rewarding. Or b) photocopy 3 or 4 pages of story. Cut them intó scenes(taking the numbers off). In small groups students then put the story in order. I go round checking And helping. 3)then all students get the books together And we check the order together. I find this helps students undetstanding before reading the story ir listening to the story on tape together.

Also with my s1s And s2s. Before reading, they tell me what they can See. ‘I can See…. Pip, i can See a coat.’ Ive been putting a big star on the board after each answer, for class stars(not individual)After weve finished we look/count the amount of stars we’ve earnt for fantastic english. Theyve been really proud of themselves And all desperate to help. Also because its class stars And not individual they really want to help. Ive been encouraging lots of ‘can i help?’ amongst them toó. Now we’re working really hard on not repeating answers.

Anyway guys realising i am talking about prepping the story And not reading. I dont know about you but i find coursebooks ‘listen and act out the story’ quite difficult. I try to encourage lots of miming throughout the story but my reality of it often isnt a cohesive and beautiful thing. Any tips appreciated.