Active Language online staffroom

Conclusion

Teaching Younger Learners can be a rewarding yet demanding job. As the developmental stages section shows, there are lots of other factors to take into account, more than say with teaching older students, especially adults.  The first day expectations note of “expect the unexpected” is very true, as children can be unpredictable and difficult to work with. However, they can be very rewarding to work with too, and there are many teachers who love teaching VYLs and YLs.  Hopefully, as this manual has shown, there are realistic things we can do as teachers to limit and manage the unpredictable and difficulties. For example, remembering and being consistent with the three R’s (Routines, Rules and Rewards) will really help provide a stable environment that the students can grow and learn in, developing both their English skills and other skills, such as social skills. Also thinking about your classroom layout and using a classroom puppet are other classroom management strategies recommended.

Learner autonomous activities, in which you let students lead activities as much as possible, are important and feasible with YLS and VYLs, although as discussed, VYLs will need more support and time to do this at first (in the second term you should see their progression). Please remember that YOU are very important. You will probably have a full timetable and working with YLs and VYLs classes can be very high energy and tiring. If you are feeling exhausted, ask yourself, ‘I am I doing too much in my YLs and VYLs classes?  Am I doing jobs that the students can do (turning flashcards/ giving out books)?  Am I missing language opportunities for my students in which they could be asking me to do things?’

One of the big difficulties teachers can encounter with VYLs and YLs is keeping students’ attention, as generally the younger they are the shorter their attention spans are. Using a variety of activities can help to keep their attention. This does not mean that you have to spend hours planning your lessons, by building in class routines this can mean quite the opposite. Also by using variations in your activities, such as changing the sound level and speed of your voice and getting the students to do the same, you can keep or regain students’ attention and it can also be good fun. When you’re having fun and enjoying the classes the students will too, and that is the best environment for them to learn. Also as discussed, there may be students who do wander off to sit in a corner, variations of activities will help encourage them to come back into the group or at an appropriate time you can bring them back in, but the main thing is that the students are safe.

There will be days that are harder than others (times of the year or more difficult students): be consistent with your rules and treatment of them and in any moments of frustration or stress, use calming methods such as taking a moment to count to ten, breathe, or one I find works well is to smile – I suddenly feel better and in control. After classes try to focus on what was achieved, rather than be disappointed in what wasn’t, and build on this. Most importantly remember you are not alone, please don’t hesitate to speak to myself or another coordinator if you do feel you are ‘struggling’ with a particular class or student, we can offer ideas and advice. Also speaking to your colleagues may help you share problems or gain new ideas or perspectives, they too may be having or have had similar situations or have a successful activity that they want to share.

Thank you for reading, I hope you have found and continue to find this manual helpful in achieving a rewarding and enjoyable time teaching VYLs and YLs.

As said in the introduction, this manual is not a ‘finished’ article, it is something hopefully we can use and add to over the years to help us all develop as individuals and as a team. So if you have anything you would like to add, such as some practical ideas or lessons plans that worked well, or any other tips/advice or questions on dealing with difficulties, classroom management, developmental stages, first day expectations or anything else you feel relevant, please let us know.

Best wishes

Natalie Smith and the Active team

Skip to toolbar